Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Mild, but very tasty chicken Enchilada dish.
Make and share this Chicken Enchilada Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 cups cooked chicken or 2 cups cooked turkey
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup flour (I use 1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese
- 12 (8 inch) flour tortillas
- In a large saucepan cook onion and green pepper in the 2 tablespoons of butter until tender.
- Combine onion mixture in a bowl with chopped chicken and green chili peppers.
- Set aside.
- For sauce, in the same pan melt 3 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in flour, coriander and salt.
- Stir in chicken broth all at once.
- Cook and stir till thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup of the cheese.
- Stir 1/2 cup of the sauce into the chicken mixture.
- Fill each tortilla with about 1/4 cup of the chicken mixture.
- Roll up and arrange in a 13x19x2 baking dish.
- Pour remaining sauce over and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered in a 350 oven about 25 minutes or until bubbly.
- Can be made ahead of time and frozen. Place a large sheet of heavy duty foil in your baking dish with enough foil over the end to fold up and over the frozen casserole. Make the casserole up until you are ready to bake it. Freeze it solid. Remove frozen casserole from your dish and encase in the excess foil for storage. This frees up the dish for other meals. When you wish to heat it, remove foil from the still frozen casserole, and place back into the dish that you froze it in initially to thaw; bake as directed.
To make this easier, I tear the tortillas and layer them in the dish with the sauce/chicken.
This is a five star recipe but unless you know what you are doing, you can get into trouble. For instance, it calls for 1 cup onions but does not tell you that they should be sliced, diced, minced or whatever. It also calls for two cups of chicken or turkey but does not advise that this is already cooked and diced. That's my two cents worth. Keep up the good work Merv
Made this with chicken, cant buy tins of green chillis here so I used fresh. Loved the flavours, and so did my picky teenager. Thanks for sharing. =)