Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got tired of rolling up corn tortillas for my Mom's really great chicken enchiladas. This is really easy to assemble, retaining the great taste of chicken enchiladas!
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 lb cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Combine the Enchilada sauce ingredients (except water) in a saucepan until well blended. Over medium heat, gradually stir in the 2 cups water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Simmer 10 minutes and then keep warm while preparing the remainder.
- Heat oven to 350.
- Saute the onion in a little cooking oil (I use cooking spray) until tender. Add the diced tomatoes, chicken, minced garlic, black beans and green chilies. Cook over medium low heat for 5 minutes, or until heated through. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with cooking spray and spread 1/3 of the enchilada sauce in the bottom. Layer with 1/3 of the tortillas, half the filling mixture, and 1/3 of the cheese. Repeat layers with 1/3 sauce and 1/3 filling and 1/3 of the cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas, enchilada sauce and the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes until bubbly.
I did use my own variation for the enchilada layers so this review is for the sauce. The sauce was out of this world! My husband said it was as if he had ordered it from an authentic Mexican restaurant. It had a nice flavor and the spiciness was perfect! Thank you so much for sharing!!!