Tired of sandwiches for lunch? Try these little pies instead. They freeze well and pack in lunch sacks well. Make them smaller for appetizers.
- 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 can green chili, chopped
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons minced green onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 frozen pie crusts
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- Mix together first 8 ingredients, and refrigerate until ready to assemble empanadas.
- On a floured surface, roll out pie shells and cut into 4-inch circles (use all the pie dough by re-rolling scraps).
- Place approximately 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture in center of dough circles.
- Fold each circle in half and crimp edges with a fork.
- Place on a baking sheet and brush tops with egg yolks.
- Sprinkle top with mixed salt and chili powder.
- Bake 12-13 minutes at 400F degrees.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Freezes well.