Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is THE recipe as featured on stltoday.com. I always have to look it up each time, so I am transferring it to this site. It is a chicken breast served in white wine sauce and topped with provel cheese, broccoli and mushrooms
- 3⁄4 cup softened butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 8 ounces each)
- 1⁄2 cup italian-seasoned dry breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced mushroom (about 3 ounces)
- 1 cup broccoli floret (see note)
- 2 tablespoons chopped prosciutto (about 1 slice)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese (8oz divided)
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 1/4 cup butter; set aside.
- 2. In a bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter with flour, using the back of a fork or a pastry blender to mix until creamy.
- 3. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Cut each piece of chicken in half. Coat chicken with bread crumbs, pressing firmly. Drizzle coated chicken with melted butter; grill or broil for about 5 minutes per side or until fully cooked. Keep chicken warm while you make the sauce.
- 4. In a large ovenproof skillet, bring stock to a boil; whisk in butter-flour mixture. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until mixture thickens. Reduce to a simmer. Add mushrooms, broccoli, prosciutto, garlic, red pepper flakes, lemon juice and wine. Simmer 5 minutes.
- 5. Place cooked chicken pieces in sauce; sprinkle cheese on top of each chicken piece, dividing evenly. Place in oven and bake just until cheese melts, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6. Lift chicken onto plates; use a slotted spoon to ladle vegetables over cheese. Pour sauce over all; serve immediately.
- Note: If using fresh broccoli, cut florets and steam or microwave just until crisp-tender. If using frozen broccoli spears or florets, thaw and drain well.
- Tester's note: The sauce may be started about 30 minutes ahead. Prepare as directed, but do not add mushrooms and broccoli. Just before serving, add vegetables and simmer until hot, about 7 minutes.
The restaurant is fabulous, and this recipe is DIVINE! I use extra mushrooms. I also use a meat tenderizer unit ( mine is a Chef Master by Intertek) but you could pound the chicken as well to make more consistent size pieces. I made the sauce on the stove, and cooked the chicken in my Sharper Image SuperWave Oven (New Wave Oven is another brand). I transferred the sauce to a pan that fit in my SuperWave oven, placed cooked chicken in the sauce & covered with cheese and turned unit to high for about 1 minute til the cheese was browned lightly and bubbly. I served it with roasted new potatoes & green beans (drizzled with olive oil, garlic & rosemary) and my husband and I both thought it was the best meal we ever cooked at home! Do NOT MISS THIS RECIPE!!!
This is the most delicious chicken on the planet! I love Rich n Charlies and especially the chicken emil! Everyone should try this!