Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is another one from "Trader Vic's Book of Food and Drink" published in 1946. The recipe comes from the Hotel Fallon in Barcelona, which may be long gone. You will need to guage the slices of the ingredients to the size of your individual baking dishes. I haven't tried this but should be unusual and fun for all you eggplant lovers!
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 slices cooked ham
- 1 1⁄2 cups thick tomato puree
- 1 1⁄2 cups cream
- pine nuts
- oil (the recipe does not specify but I would think olive or peanut oil)
- salt and pepper
- Slice eggplant in thin slices and brown in oil with the garlic, sliced.
- Remove, leaving the garlic, drain on paper.
- Place a slice of the eggplant in an individual baking dish and cover with a slice of chicken, then another slice of eggplant, then a slice of ham, and top with a third slice of eggplant.
- Season the tomato puree to taste and mix with the cream.
- Pour the tomato/cream mixture over the eggplant sandwichs, sprinkle with pine nuts and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes.