Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Our favorite comfort food.
Make and share this Chicken & Dumplings recipe from Food.com.
- Place chicken in pot, add water, broth, carrot, onion, Bring to a boil. Cover and lower heat. Simmer for 60 min or until chicken is done. Remove chicken and allow to cool. Remove onion & celery and discard. Reserve the broth.
- Make Dumplings: Combine the flour, baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt, cut in shortening utnil coarse. Add buttermilk stir, until moistened. Turn dough out onto a floured surface, knead 4 or 5 times.
- Roll dough to 1/4" thickness. cut into 3"x1": strips.
- Bring broth to a boil stir in milk. adjust salt & pepper.
- Drop dumplings one or two at ta time into boiling broth. Reduce heat to medium low. Stir occasionally to keep dumplings from sticking. Cook 8 to 10 minute Add boned chicken to the mixture and heat until it's hot.