Recipe by FL Angel Chef
Homemade chicken and dumplings. After making these you'll never use the canned stuff again! it's a simple recipe. My kids just love this. I usually serve them like a soup/stew. It's a great meal on cold or rainy days!
Top Review by Pinay0618
This is how I've made chicken and dumplings all my life - it is sooooo good, and easy! I add a lot of pepper and some onion, and roll or pat the biscuits out flat and cut them into quarters - we like the dumplings "chewy" instead of fluffy. This is honest comfort food!
- 3 -4 chicken quarters
- 3 tablespoons garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons seasoning salt
- 4 (8 ounce) cans biscuits (you can use either the buttermilk ones or regular and brand doesn't matter. I usually just buy store)
- 4 tablespoons flour
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot( I use a 8 qt) place your chicken 1/4 and fill with water to about half way. enough to cover your chicken and maybe 2 in above.
- Add your garlic powder and seasoning salt.
- Boil for about 30 to 45 minutes on high.
- Remove chicken, and let cool. DO NOT DISCARD LIQUID!
- In the meantime. remove about 4 C of the broth. and set aside to cool or place in freezer for faster cooling.
- Once your chicken is cooled, remove the meat from the bones, and discard bones and skin. And Place meat into the pot with the liquid that you boiled the chicken inches.
- Now, turn your heat to medium to medium-low.
- Open a can of the refrigerated biscuits, and roll them in your hands to make a rope shape, and start cutting them up, the size that you cut them is up to you, I cut them to bite size due to my kids.
- As you cut them place them in the pot with the chicken until you have all of them into the pot.
- Now while your pot is simmering, take the cooled liquid that you set aside earlier, and slowly add the flour and whisk. If you add the flour too fast it will clump and then you will have to sit there and mash out the clumps.
- Add the liquid to your pot.
- Now let everything simmer for about 30 - 45 minutes.