1 hr 30 mins
Julie in TX's Note:
This recipe came out of a cookbook compiled by a newspaper woman in my city. I'm posting it in response to a recipe request. I have used this recipe for making dumplings for years. I will admit that I'm not picky about the quantity of chicken that I use. I just throw whatever I have into the pot. These are old fashioned doughy dumplings, so if you're looking for the noodle type, these aren't for you. They aren't really heavy though. The broth thickens quite well. The original recipe calls for you to shred the chicken. I always leave it in chunks because I like the texture. I also don't tend to measure the seasonings that I put in. I sometimes use more poultry seasoning and sometimes add some basil or oregano. This is an easy recipe to adapt to your individual taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 chicken breasts, with skin on
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1 medium onion, whole
- 1 whole carrot
- 1 stalk celery, whole
- 1Put chicken, poultry seasoning, salt, pepper, onion, carrot,.
- 2and celery into a large heavy kettle.
- 3Put enough water into the pot to cover these ingredients.
- 4The water should come up about 3 inches above the ingredients.
- 5Bring to a boil, turn the heat down and simmer until the chicken is tender and the vegetables are soft.
- 6Remove from heat source.
- 7Remove the chicken and vegetables from the broth with a slotted spoon.
- 8Remove skin from chicken.
- 9Shred the chicken.
- 10Discard the vegetables and add the shredded chicken back into the broth.
- 12Mix flour, baking powder and salt.
- 13Cut in shortening.
- 14Add milk and mix.
- 15Bring the broth and chicken mixture to a boil.
- 16Drop the dumpling mix into the boiling chicken and broth by the tablespoonful.
- 17Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- 18Cover and continue cooking for 10 more minutes.
- 19You might have to turn the heat down to keep the dumplings from boiling over, but do not remove the lid.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken & Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (321 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 612.5
- Calories from Fat 228
- Total Fat 25.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.4 g
- Cholesterol 99.2 mg
- Sodium 988.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 2.2 g
- Protein 38.6 g