Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe has been a family favorite for years. With so many requests for the recipe I have done my best to take my original recipe and put it down on paper, never done before. From my family to yours--enjoy!
- 3 -4 chicken breasts or 1 small whole chicken, rotisserie chicken already cooked from the store works great
- 2 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth (or more)
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes or 2 pinches crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 25 baby carrots, cut in half
- 7 ounces canned corn
- 7 ounces canned peas
- 2 (16 1/3 ounce) packages Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (16 total, do not use low fat biscuits or extra butter, use plain buttermilk)
- First prepare chicken as desired and set aside (dice raw chicken or pick your rotisserie chicken from store).
- In at least a 8-quart pot (the larger the pot the better to allow room to stir).
- Add: all ingredients**except chicken, corn, peas& biscuits**.
- Once the carrots are half done add: chicken, corn, peas.
- Bring pot to a high boil.
- Break each individual biscuits into 5 pieces and drop into pot.
- Be sure to constantly, stop and stir the biscuits so they do not stick to each other, also use a spatula to mix the bottom of pan to prevent the dumplings from burning on the bottom.
- Once you've added your LAST dumpling continue to stir for 10-15min until each dumpling appears well formed, the broth will start to thicken. BE PATIENT! I will thicken! May take awhile to get it to a thickness you desire, Just continue to stir. Once you turn off the stove and let it sit, it will continue to thicken. If it gets too thick for your liking add more broth. If it's not thick enough add more biscuits.
- If you enjoy a kick to your food add another pinch of crushed red pepper, it's awesome!
- As always salt and pepper to your taste. Enjoy!
This recipe is wonderful, I have a cold and just made it and it came out wonderful. It was also very comforting.