Recipe by echo echo
This is a very easy recipe for a chicken dish that will suit people who like their chicken spicy, but not TOO hot. Served on a bed of rice, it is colorful and elegant enough for company. UPDATE: I suggest that you not substitute regular mustard for dry mustard. Regular mustard is made by mixing dry mustard with a substantial amount of vinegar and will completely change the flavor of the dish.
Top Review by Pinay0618
Wonderfully easy, very tasty! We increased the hot sauce a bit, and used celery leaves as I was out of celery seed. Served over potato gnocchi with steamed carrots on the side. I'm looking forward to trying this with pork chops, also. Thanks for sharing!
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 8 chicken drumsticks (about 2 lbs)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 -5 drops hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the flour, salt and pepper.
- Dust the drumsticks with the seasoned flour.
- Melt the butter in a skillet with a lid.
- Brown the chicken over medium heat on all sides.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and drain on absorbent paper.
- In the same pan, combine the tomatoes thru hot pepper sauce; bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and return the chicken to the pan.
- Cover and simmer about 45 minutes.
- Serve with pan juice.
- Good over white or brown rice.