Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
What you are looking for: crunchy outside, tender inside and aromatic drumsticks!
- 8 chicken drumsticks (preferably skinned, but not necessary)
- 1⁄2 cup lentils, red
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄3 cup green olives (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon rosemary (fresh very fine chopped or dried)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (fresh very fine chopped or dried)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup water (for sprinkling)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Crumb red lentils with a food processor to flour.
- Add rosemary, oregano, pepper, chili, olives and salt.
- Mix all together shortly with food processor (will crumb a little).
- In a shallow bowl, combine to dressing white wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Dip chicken into dressing, then coat with crumb mixture pressing on with fingertips.
- Place on prepared tray. Spray drumsticks with the remaining dressing.
- Bake for 10 Minutes (uncovered at 350 degrees), then sprinkle with water (heat and timing are basing it on convection oven).
- Continue to bake in the same way for another 35 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot with salad or vegetables.
This recipe was submitted for the Craze-E Contest 2010. The theme/ category was GIFTS from Your Kitchen! However, nothing was mentioned within this recipe regarding it being intended as a gift... Also, the recipe included chopped green olives, however, it was not included in the instructions and where to add them. I also, was not sure about the measurements for some of the fresh vs dry ingredients. Q: Can the same amounts be used for either fresh or dry herbs?
(I used dry ingredients). Further, I did not have red lentils so substituted Chana Dal & Yellow split lentils. Also, the recipe called for sprinkling water as the drumsticks when baking. However, I added to much and the finished drumsticks was not extremely dry but good! I enjoy making recipes that I have not tried before like using lentils as a crust for the drumsticks... so decided to try this one. Finally, with a few corrections to this recipe, it can easily be a 4 star one!