Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
When you've cooked ahead, you have not only ensured a month's worth of healthy meals for your family, you are also ready for guests, you have a meal on hand to share with a shut-in, and if you become ill or there is a family crisis - well, at least dinner's ready!
- 4 cups cooked chicken, diced
- 12 -16 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 cups milk
- 18 -20 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 2 -3 cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large pot.
- Sauté onion and celery.
- In large, separate bowl, pour eggs and milk over bread cubes and toss until completely moistened.
- Add this to celery and onion and fry until lightly browned.
- Add chicken.
- Freeze in ziploc bags.
- Freeze broth in glass jars, plastic containers, or ziploc bags.
- To serve, thaw.
- Pour mixture into large, heavy pot.
- Pour half of broth over top.
- Heat over medium heat until hot all the way through, adding more of the broth as mixture becomes dry.
Easy & Very Tasty! A great treat without using the oven I did not have enough wheat bread -so sub in white bread plus left over prepackaged stuffing and it worked out just wonderful. I do not think the left overs in freezer will last long!
I have made this for a mission trip to feed 125 people and for my church on Wednesday night (80 people) and it is FABULOUS! Thanks so much! I usually serve it with Green Beans, good Rolls and Chicken Gravy.
Super. I did add some seasonings as it seemed bland without. I make all of my own bread, and next time I think a nice herbed bread will make it even better.