Recipe by - Carla -
I am surprised a recipe for this hasn't already been posted. Dopiaza is a medium strength curry that contains double (!!!) the amount of onions than typically found in other curry recipes. It is a great recipe for the onion lovers!
Top Review by mermaiden91
This was delicious, especially the next day. I followed the recipe as is but without the hot curry (for my husband and toddler). For the onions, I used 2 red and 2 brown. A real winner - thanks
- 44.37 ml oil
- 14.79 ml curry
- 14.79 ml garam masala
- 4.92 ml hot curry (optional)
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 4 onions (2 rustically sliced & 2 sliced into thin wedges)
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 2 (680.38 g) canchopped tomatoes with juice
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large wok style pan place the oil, curry, garam masala, hot curry (if using) cinnamon and cumin.
- Over a low flame, heat spices 1 to 2 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend (don't allow mixture to smoke).
- Add onions and saute over low flame until the onions are translucent (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Remove onions from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add sliced chicken and garlic to the pan, along with salt & pepper to taste.
- Saute chicken 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix in the reserved onions, chicken broth and the chopped tomatoes with juice.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, uncovered 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is slightly reduced and thickens.
- Serve along side Basmati rice and fresh naan.