1/5 Photos of Chicken Dopiaza
- Carla -'s Note:
I am surprised a recipe for this hasn't already been posted. Dopiaza is a medium strength curry that contains double (!!!) the amount of onions than typically found in other curry recipes. It is a great recipe for the onion lovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon hot curry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 onions (2 rustically sliced & 2 sliced into thin wedges)
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (12 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1In a large wok style pan place the oil, curry, garam masala, hot curry (if using) cinnamon and cumin.
- 2Over a low flame, heat spices 1 to 2 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend (don't allow mixture to smoke).
- 3Add onions and saute over low flame until the onions are translucent (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- 4Remove onions from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 5Add sliced chicken and garlic to the pan, along with salt & pepper to taste.
- 6Saute chicken 5 to 7 minutes.
- 7Mix in the reserved onions, chicken broth and the chopped tomatoes with juice.
- 8Bring to a low simmer and cook, uncovered 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is slightly reduced and thickens.
- 9Serve along side Basmati rice and fresh naan.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Dopiaza
Serving Size: 1 (442 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 327.6
- Calories from Fat 161
- Total Fat 17.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 46.4 mg
- Sodium 611.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 19.1 g