Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am surprised a recipe for this hasn't already been posted. Dopiaza is a medium strength curry that contains double (!!!) the amount of onions than typically found in other curry recipes. It is a great recipe for the onion lovers!
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon curry
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon hot curry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 onions (2 rustically sliced & 2 sliced into thin wedges)
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced into small pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 (12 ounce) canschopped tomatoes with juice
- In a large wok style pan place the oil, curry, garam masala, hot curry (if using) cinnamon and cumin.
- Over a low flame, heat spices 1 to 2 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend (don't allow mixture to smoke).
- Add onions and saute over low flame until the onions are translucent (about 5 to 8 minutes).
- Remove onions from pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add sliced chicken and garlic to the pan, along with salt & pepper to taste.
- Saute chicken 5 to 7 minutes.
- Mix in the reserved onions, chicken broth and the chopped tomatoes with juice.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, uncovered 10 to 12 minutes, or until sauce is slightly reduced and thickens.
- Serve along side Basmati rice and fresh naan.
This was delicious, especially the next day. I followed the recipe as is but without the hot curry (for my husband and toddler). For the onions, I used 2 red and 2 brown. A real winner - thanks
This is very good and easy to make. There seems to be many different recipes for dopiaza (perhaps not on this site), but this one is worth making again, especially for guests who have not developed a taste for HOT, HOT curry.
A winning combination of onions, chicken and seasonings. Your photos beckoned me, the incredible taste won me over. Loved the extra punch the Hot Curry added. I won't change a thing when making it for family but will likely use just a touch of the hot curry for guests ... unless I am sure they are as fond of hot foods as am I! Thank you for a new taste experience!