Recipe by karen
There are a few similar recipes on Zaar to this one, but none exactly the same. This is the one that my mom served when I was a child. The only change I have made is to use broccoli florets instead of frozen spears, which are difficult to cut when serving this up. I've also made this without the broccoli in a smaller dish. My mom always made this recipe with the chicken created when making chicken stock. Feel free to substitute cooked leftover turkey in place of the chicken.
Top Review by HeidiSue
We LOVED this! I had to force myself to stop eating it. In fact I had to choose between this and my freshly baked bread (which I also love) because I couldn't continue to eat both (I'm a glutton). What I love most about this is that even though it has a can of cream soup in it, after it was cooked I couldn't tell that it was there, couldn't see it or taste it. I did make one change, I added about 2 cups of rice as the bottom layer and only used 2 cups of chicken. Oh, and I am sure I used more than a cup of cheese. I also dotted the top of the bread crumbs with butter. Thanks Karen67! **UPDATE**2/16/07- I made this again last night for my bunco group and they loved it too. I accidentally used cream of mushroom instead of chicken and didn't notice a difference, it was still so yummy! Thanks again!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (13 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (low fat or regular)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli until tender in the microwave.
- Place broccoli in the bottom of a 9 x 11 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread chicken over broccoli.
- Combine mayonnaise, soup, lemon juice and curry powder. Spoon over chicken.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.