Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
There are a few similar recipes on Zaar to this one, but none exactly the same. This is the one that my mom served when I was a child. The only change I have made is to use broccoli florets instead of frozen spears, which are difficult to cut when serving this up. I've also made this without the broccoli in a smaller dish. My mom always made this recipe with the chicken created when making chicken stock. Feel free to substitute cooked leftover turkey in place of the chicken.
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 4 cups cooked chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 (13 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup (low fat or regular)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook broccoli until tender in the microwave.
- Place broccoli in the bottom of a 9 x 11 casserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spread chicken over broccoli.
- Combine mayonnaise, soup, lemon juice and curry powder. Spoon over chicken.
- Sprinkle with cheese and bread crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
We LOVED this! I had to force myself to stop eating it. In fact I had to choose between this and my freshly baked bread (which I also love) because I couldn't continue to eat both (I'm a glutton). What I love most about this is that even though it has a can of cream soup in it, after it was cooked I couldn't tell that it was there, couldn't see it or taste it. I did make one change, I added about 2 cups of rice as the bottom layer and only used 2 cups of chicken. Oh, and I am sure I used more than a cup of cheese. I also dotted the top of the bread crumbs with butter. Thanks Karen67! **UPDATE**2/16/07- I made this again last night for my bunco group and they loved it too. I accidentally used cream of mushroom instead of chicken and didn't notice a difference, it was still so yummy! Thanks again!
Everyone liked this. I only had 16 oz. broccoli and 3 C chicken. I used homemade whole wheat bread for the crumbs. Instead of layering the chicken and the sauce, I mixed it all together. Gets more uniformly incorporated that way. The cat licked the plate clean! I used 1/4 tsp curry and it wasn't enough for me, but it was enough for the rest of the family. They liked it.
This was perfect for my leftover turkey breast. I followed the recipe only subbing cream of mushroom b/c thats what I had. I think the curry powder adds something special to this. Thanks for sharing!