Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a recipe I found in one of those small cookbooks you can get at the checkout stand at the grocery store. I've served it for company, taken it to potlucks, and just make it for ourselves when we are looking for something special. It's always a hit. I think the Dijon mustard is the key ingredient to make it different and special.
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons chicken flavor instant bouillon
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise or 1⁄2 cup salad dressing
- 1 -2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 (1 lb) package frozen broccoli, thawed and drained
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken (or turkey)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄3 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Melt 2 tablespoons butter or margarine in medium saucepan. Stir in flour and bouillon. Gradually stir in milk; cook until mixutre boils and thickens, stirring constantly with wire whisk. Stir in mayonnaise or salad dressing and mustard until well blended.
- Arrange broccoli in ungreased baking dish. Top with cooked chicken. Spoon sauce over chicken. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In small bowl, combine bread crumbs and 1 Tablespoon melted butter; mix well. Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with green salad and garlic bread. Enjoy!
Some versions of chicken divan include a small amount of lemon juice and some curry powder. These two ingredients really add flavor and interest to the dish.
Very good! Been using this same recipe for years now; it's ALWAYS a hit! I always add more spicy brown mustard and cheese than it calls for. NOMNOMNOM!
This recipe turned out just ok for me. Everything turned out ok, but it really wasn't all that appealing to me. Unfortunately, for my family, this won't be a repeat. Thanks anyways for sharing.