Recipe by Toby Jermain
This recipe was given to me by the wife of an engineer with whom I worked in Williston ND about 25 years ago. It got misplaced for about 15 years and recovered only a month or so ago. It's so good, we've fixed it twice since then. Prep time does not include time to thaw broccoli and chicken.
- 4 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked until barely done
- 2 -4 tablespoons lemon juice, more to taste (sauce should taste lemony!})
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup (or 1 each cream of chicken and cream of mushroom)
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained well
- 1 cup mayonnaise (or 1/2 cup mayonnaise and 1/2 cup milk)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, more to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut each chicken breast in half and arrange on top of broccoli in a 9"x13" baking dish.
- Mix soup, lemon juice and mayonnaise, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour over chicken.
- Top with cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Note: Whenever boneless skinless chicken breasts are on sale, we season a bunch of them generously with granulated garlic, seasoned salt, and freshly ground black pepper, wrap them in foil, and bake them until just done.
- We freeze 3-4 half breasts to a Ziploc bag, and use them for quick dishes such as this one.