Recipe by Caryltoo
This recipe is from the Culinary Institute of America cookbook from the 1980s, although I've made a couple of changes, namely using florets instead of spears and swiss cheese rather than blue. It's a go-to for my family. I'm pretty much putting it up here so I don't lose it (the cookbook is in pieces after so much use).
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 2 -4 ounces swiss cheese or 1⁄4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and sliced
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Cook broccoli until just tender.
- 2. Heat butter in saucepan. Blend in flour and salt. Heat until mixture bubbles then remove from heat.
- 3. Add the chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly. Bring to boil and cook about 2 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from Heat.
- 4. Add the marjoram and swiss cheese and stir until cheese is melted. Blend in the whipped cream.
- 5. Put the broccoli in the bottom of a 2-qt casserole dish or divide among 6 ramekins.
- 6. Using half the sauce, spoon over the broccoli. Top that with the chicken.
- 7. Blend half cup of parmesan in remaining sauce and spoon sauce over chicken.
- 8. Sprinkle top with remaining parmesan and paprika (optional).
- 9. Place under broiler, 4 inches from heat for about 3 minutes or until top is lightly browned.