Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Chicken and cheese, what could be better?
- 3 cups broccoli, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup 2% low-fat milk
- 3⁄4 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cooked and sliced
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the broccoli and blanch for 3 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge the broccoli into cold dwater to stop the cooking. Drain well. Transfer to paper towels and pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sprinkle in the flour and whisk until smooth. Stir in the broth and milk and bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and stir in 1/2 cup of cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the broccoli in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Pour half the sauce over it, then arrange the chicken on top. Cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbling and hot. Serve immediately.