Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is always a hit at dinner parties. I serve it over rice or egg noodles.
- 1 lb cooked chicken breast, cut in bite-size pieces
- 4 -5 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 1⁄4 cup butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of celery soup
- 1⁄3 cup dry sherry
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 dash of freshly-grated nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Boil or steam broccoli for a few minutes until just tender; drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter in a saucepan over medium heat until butter is melted. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, until flour has turned a golden brown.
- Add milk and continue stirring until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Add cream of celery soup and whisk until smooth, then whisk in sherry.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture just starts to bubble; reduce heat to low.
- Stir in grated cheese a little at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding more.
- Stir in nutmeg and remove from heat.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat in a small skillet. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until they have absorbed the butter evenly. Continue stirring for several minutes until the crumbs are golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Place the cooked broccoli in an even layer in a buttered 3-quart casserole dish.
- Arrange the chicken pieces over the broccoli.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the chicken and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs over the top of the cheese sauce.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Let sit about 10 minutes before serving.
This was yummy. There was sufficient sauce, and it was tasty. I'll definitely make this again.