Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This is my adaptation of a recipe I got from Family Circle magazine in 1981. I have used skinned chicken thighs for this and usually I use mushroom soup and the reduced fat kind works just fine if you are wanting to lower fat content. Serve with your favourite veggie on the side.
- 4 skinless chicken breast halves, about 7 oz each
- 6 tablespoons Italian salad dressing
- 2 tablespoons onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked converted rice
- Mix together dressing, onion flakes, parsley, marjoram, basil, lemon pepper seasoning, soup and water.
- Arrange rice in bottom of a casserole or 13 x 9 pan and stir in 1/2 the liquid.
- Place chicken pieces on top and pour remaining liquid over top. Cover with foil or lid.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 min; uncover; stir rice mixture. You may need to add a little additonal water if it seems too dry. Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer until bubbly and rice and chicken are done. Serves 4.
I was on a time crunch for prep and this dish was my savior. It was very easy to prepare and all I had to add was some canned green beans with mushrooms. I used cream of mushroom soup and my chicken breasts were small breasts which I ended up using about six (they were small and all the same size). This was a nice change of pace using the Italian dressing and not just a cream sauce. My kids and husband really enjoyed. This will be one I grab when I just don't want to prep a lot for dinner. Wonderful!!