Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
From the California Pizza Kitchen cookbook; posted for ZWT III, France.
Top Review by Debber
Scrump-dil-ee-icious!!! I only did the carmelized onions and not the braised shallots (my onion-hating son thanked me!). The chicken wasn't as Frilly as I would've liked, maybe next time? :-) I used my Recipe #221678 for the crust (heaven!). The family was delighted!!! *Made for Zaar Holiday Tag Aug 07*
Grilled Garlic Chicken
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 bunch spinach (frozen can be used)
Braised shallots (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounces shallots, peeled and separated into cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small red onion, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch thick rings
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 recipe pizza dough
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Garlic chicken:.
- Combine garlic, soy sauce, salt and olive oil.
- Marinate the chicken breasts in the garlic oil for 10-20 minutes.
- Grill the chicken breasts for 5-7 minutes on each side (discard unused marinade).
- Take cooked chicken and chill thoroughly.
- Cut chicken into 3/4 inch cubes, set aside and refrigerate.
- Clean and trim spinach, plunge the leaves into rapidly boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Transfer the spinach to ice water and stir gently till the spinach is thoroughly chilled. The spinach should be limp and deep dark green.
- Drain the spinach and wring out all excess water.
- Set aside in refrigerator to continue draining till time to assemble the pizza.
- Braised shallots:.
- Cook shallots, stirring occasionally in olive oil over medium heat till lightly browned on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add thyme, water, salt and pepper and cover.
- Cook over low heat, covered for approximately 1/2 hour, stirring or tossing every 4-5 minutes.
- Drain and set aside. The shallots should be soft, translucent and light yellow-brown.
- Caramelized onions:.
- Melt butter in a small non-stick skillet over medium heat and cook the onions, stirring, till they just begin to brown, 3-4 minutes.
- Add vinegar, reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring to prevent scorching.
- Add soy sauce and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer, stirring.
- When done, the onions should be quite limp and caramelized brown.
- To make pizza:.
- Place the pizza stone in the center of the oven and preheat to 500 for one hour before cooking the pizza.
- Use a large spoon to spread 1 T mustard over the surface of the pizza dough within the rim.
- Place blanched spinach leaves over the mustard, forming a single layer.
- Spread 1/4 cup caramelized onions over the spinach and cover the onions with half the mozzarella.
- Evenly distribute half the grilled garlic chicken over the cheese.
- Place small cloves of shallot between the chicken pieces.
- Transfer the pizza to the oven; bake till the crust is crisp and golden and the cheese at the center is bubbly, 8-10 minutes.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients for a second pizza.