Recipe by Monica in PA
DH loves this since it has intense flavor but not too hot for children. I adapted this recipe from the At Home with Family & friends cookbook from Cornerstone Television. Woody's restaurant in Pittsburgh, PA managed by the Antonelli brothers, make this recipe. Great served with crusty bread, rice, and a salad.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 8 -10 fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄2 cup crushed tomatoes or 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 -3 banana peppers, cut into rings
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley or 3 teaspoons dried parsley
- salt and black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In large skillet, heat oil.
- Add chicken and red pepper and saute for 5 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Add mushrooms and saute for 3 additional minutes.
- Add garlic, beef stock and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add apple juice, tomatoes, banana peppers, and parsley.
- Salt/pepper to taste.
- Simmer low and uncovered until juices reduce and thicken.
- You may also thicken the liquid with cornstarch or arrowroot powder.