Prep 50 mins
Cook 40 mins
Family recipe. One of the family's favorite.
- 4 large chicken breasts, bone-in
- 2 -3 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushroom pieces, drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can cream of chicken soup or 1 (14 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 pint sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 (8 ounce) box bread cubes (Pepperidge Farms herbed chicken dressing)
- Stew 4 large chicken breasts with a few carrots and onion, parsley and salt. Cook until done. Drain broth through a colander, SAVE broth. Discard veggies. Cool and debone chicken.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Spray 9"x13" oven-proof dish. Line with chicken breast. Top with mushroom pieces.
- Combine 1 cup reserved broth, soup and sour cream. Pour over mushrooms.
- Melt margarine with 1/2 cup of reserved broth. Toss with dressing. Place on top of casserole.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
This was pretty yummy. I was very leary of it. The presentation was lacking but even my son (who hates stuffing) ate it. My mom really liked it too. We both thought it could use some chives on top or onions. It needs a bit more moisture, so when I make it again I will add a bity more broth or butter. Thank you for a great and easy recipe! I cubed up and toasted up some week old texas toast bread seasoned with Pam, sage, garlic, and thyme in the oven instead of boxed. I will update my rating if when I make this again the boxed cubes make a huge taste difference. Let me be clear, I WILL BE MAKING THIS AGAIN! Thanks for a great recipe! :) Sorry for the hoorible phone pics! But something is better than nothing I guess! lol