Recipe by Oolala
From a Good Housekeeping cookbook from 1983. It sounds interesting but not authentic. You could always use low fat yogurt if you like. Easy to find ingredients and you may already have them on hand.
- 2 -3 lbs chicken
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 dash pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, minced
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 6 cups hot cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- About 2 1/2 hours before serving, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rinse and drain chicken well.
- Combine the ginger, coriander and pepper and rub into the chicken.
- Place chicken on an open roasting pan.
- In a 2 quart saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in onions, yogurt, half and half, turmeric, and salt and pour over the chicken.
- Roast about 1 1/2-2 hours, basting frequently with sauc.
- When cooked, lift chicken out to warm platter and spoon remaining sauce into rice and toss lightly. Serve with the chicken.