Recipe by DailyInspiration
What a delicious combination of food beginning with the warm spices and the addition of dates and apricots with lemon and chicken. YUM! Your don't have to have a tagine -- this dish can be made in a dutch oven. Recipe is from Cooking Light and is next on my list to try.
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup dates, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, julienned (1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup lemon, sections peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups couscous, cooked (hot)
Directions See How It's Made
- Skin and cut chicken into 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breast halves and 2 wings. Reserve chicken wings for another use.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Add onion and the next 6 ingredients (onion through garlic) and cook 4 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add broth, dates, apricots, rind, and salt. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove from heat; stir in the parsley, lemon sections and cilantro. Serve over couscous.