Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
What a delicious combination of food beginning with the warm spices and the addition of dates and apricots with lemon and chicken. YUM! Your don't have to have a tagine -- this dish can be made in a dutch oven. Recipe is from Cooking Light and is next on my list to try.
- 1 whole chicken (3 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄3 cup dates, pitted and sliced
- 1⁄3 cup dried apricot, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, julienned (1 inch pieces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup lemon, sections peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 3 cups couscous, cooked (hot)
- Skin and cut chicken into 2 drumsticks, 2 thighs, 2 breast halves and 2 wings. Reserve chicken wings for another use.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cook 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Add onion and the next 6 ingredients (onion through garlic) and cook 4 minutes; stirring occasionally. Add broth, dates, apricots, rind, and salt. Bring to a boil; cover and reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes or until the chicken is tender. Remove from heat; stir in the parsley, lemon sections and cilantro. Serve over couscous.
Delicious! I made this recipe in a sauté pan since I don't have a tagine, and the flavours were lovely. Looking forward to having this again!
What a delicious savory sweet recipe. I made a smaller amount using 2 chicken thighs and cooked it in the tagine. All of the wonderful flavor's were pure pleasure on the tongue, don't be afraid of the spices. Aside from using the thighs, doubling the cinnamon and oven cooking in the tagine for 30 mins @ 350 I followed the directions and was gifted with a wonderful meal. Served with whole wheat couscous.