Prep 40 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe came from my American Heritage cookbook. Juicy and tender breaded chicken with a wonderfully rich and creamy sauce. My father's favorite (and that's saying alot)! Simple to make but doesn't taste like it. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.
- 4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Pound chicken to 1/2" thickness--I do this between cellophane to avoid any mess. Coat with flour. Dip in egg/milk mixture. Coat with bread crumbs. Fry 2-4 at a time in hot oil until golden (about 5 minute per side). Remove and keep warm while frying the rest. Serve with MUSHROOM SAUCE.
- MUSHROOM SAUCE:.
- Cook mushrooms and onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Add milk, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until boiling and thickening. Stir in sour cream and heat through--Do Not Boil.