Recipe by Brian Holley
A quick to cook tasty dish. This is a super curry that I learned to cook while in Sri Lanka. From start to finish in under one hour. Of all my chicken dishes this is my favourite.
Top Review by UmmIbrahim
I can see why this is your favorite chicken recipe! So fast and easy and the flavor is phenomenal! What can be better than getting the flavor of something top notch in so little time? :) Thanks for sharing this great dish!
- 3 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 4 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 dried red chilies
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 2 black cardamom pods, split open
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 allspice berries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 5 ounces water
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 fresh green chilies, whole
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry the cumin seeds till they start to pop.
- Add the onions, ginger, garlic and red chillies, fry till onions are soft, do not brown them.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves, cardamoms and allspice stir and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric and paprika, stir and add the chicken. Fry for 5 mins over medium heat.
- Add water and salt, bring to boil, cover the pan and cook on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, green chilli and the ground almonds stir and cook a further 6 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander leaves and serve.