1/2 Photos of Chicken Curry With Coconut Milk
This favorite chicken curry recipe is usually prepared as a side with flavored rice like Tomato Pulao. Coconut milk and poppy seeds are essential in the preparation of the curry. The chicken simmers in a concoction of yogurt, coconut milk, poppy seeds and garam masala to yield a rich creamy textured curry. Tomato Pulao with Chicken curry made for a deliciously comforting meal. From Sailu's Kitchen website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (soak in a little milk and make paste)
- 2 large red onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1In a small blender, like a magic bullet, process the green chilis, the ginger and the garlic cloves until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, combine yogurt, coriander, cumin, turmeric, lemon juice and half of the ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Add chicken and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- 3Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the star anise, cinnamon stick and chopped onions and fry for 4 minutes. Add the remaining ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 4 minutes. Add red chili powder and mix.
- 4Add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 5Reduce to medium heat, add salt and poppy seed paste and mix well. Let the chicken cook in this paste for 8-10 minutes, uncovered. Cook till oil separates.
- 6Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 13-14 minutes.
- 7Add garam masala, mix well. Add thick coconut milk and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- 8Serve hot with white steamed rice, coconut rice, or rotis.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry With Coconut Milk
Serving Size: 1 (344 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 734.6
- Calories from Fat 352
- Total Fat 39.1 g
- Saturated Fat 16.3 g
- Cholesterol 149.2 mg
- Sodium 201.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 35.1 g
- Protein 51.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: