Recipe by Jostlori
This favorite chicken curry recipe is usually prepared as a side with flavored rice like Tomato Pulao. Coconut milk and poppy seeds are essential in the preparation of the curry. The chicken simmers in a concoction of yogurt, coconut milk, poppy seeds and garam masala to yield a rich creamy textured curry. Tomato Pulao with Chicken curry made for a deliciously comforting meal. From Sailu's Kitchen website.
Top Review by Chef Dudo
This was OK but nothing special. With all the spices I had expected more taste but it was rather bland. The only change I made was to substitute the yogurt with soy-yogurt, this due to that I do not mix milk and meat. The poppy seeds look nice in the final curry but that's all there is to them, they gave nothing extra to the curry.
I am not at all overly negative, the curry is OK and maybe upping the amount of spices would help. Anyway, I'm pleased I tried it.
Thanks for posting.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, cut in bite sized pieces
- 1⁄2 cup yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin, ground
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed (soak in a little milk and make paste)
- 2 large red onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3⁄4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 green chilies
- 1 1⁄2 inches ginger, fresh
- 6 garlic cloves
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small blender, like a magic bullet, process the green chilis, the ginger and the garlic cloves until a smooth paste forms. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, coriander, cumin, turmeric, lemon juice and half of the ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste. Add chicken and let marinate for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan, add the star anise, cinnamon stick and chopped onions and fry for 4 minutes. Add the remaining ground ginger-garlic-green chili paste and saute for 4 minutes. Add red chili powder and mix.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook on high heat for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce to medium heat, add salt and poppy seed paste and mix well. Let the chicken cook in this paste for 8-10 minutes, uncovered. Cook till oil separates.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water and mix. Bring to a boil, reduce flame and cook for 13-14 minutes.
- Add garam masala, mix well. Add thick coconut milk and cook on medium flame for 3-4 minutes. Turn off heat and garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with white steamed rice, coconut rice, or rotis.