from Gourmet Magazine, January 2005. Delicious!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 1/2-4 lbs chicken, cut into 10 serving pieces
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3/4 cup cashews (1/4 pound)
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1Heat butter in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- 3Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes.
- 4Add tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 40 minutes. (If making ahead, see cooks' note, below.)
- 5Just before serving pulse cashews in a food processor or electric coffee/spice grinder until very finely ground, then add to curry along with yogurt and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry With Cashews
Serving Size: 1 (653 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 868.3
- Calories from Fat 560
- Total Fat 62.3 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 217.6 mg
- Sodium 1747.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.7 g
- Sugars 9.8 g
- Protein 52.7 g