- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons curry powder or 3 tablespoons curry paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 8 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 3⁄4 cup cashews
- 1 cup coconut milk
- cooked basmati rice or jasmine rice, to accompany
- chopped fresh cilantro or mango chutney or raisins or cashews, to garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat butter in a 5- to 6-quart wide heavy pot over moderately low heat until foam subsides, then cook onions, garlic, and ginger, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook, stirring to coat, 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, including juice, and cilantro and bring to a simmer, then cover and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Just before serving:.
- Pulse cashews in a food processor or electric coffee/spice grinder until very finely ground, then add to curry along with coconut milk and simmer gently, uncovered, stirring, until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.