Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 12 mins
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into small serving pieces
- 3 medium granny smith apples, cored and chopped
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly or chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
- 2 tablespoons curry powder, more to taste
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 5 cups low-sodium low-fat chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups regular brown rice, uncooked (not instant)
- In a large non-stick pot, heat canola oil.
- Salt and pepper the chicken, and brown it in oil.
- Remove chicken.
- Add apples, onions, garlic, curry and cumin.
- Saute, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add broth and raisins.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice and chicken.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until rice is tender, about 60 minutes.
- Serve with condiments such as chutney, chopped peanuts, toasted coconut, minced cilantro or sliced scallions.
This is very good...My family loved it :) I added extra raisins and it gave it just a little extra sweet taste...I have used this to make beef curry also...which turned out good...but the chicken is by far the best way to have it...Thanks for posting!!!
Very quick, flavorful, and healthy! I used leftover cooked chicken and added diced carrots to the veggies. I wanted to cook and serve the rice separately, so adjusted the chicken broth accordingly. A keeper for me...thanks.
Deliscious! We all loved it and I will be making this recipe often for sure. Next time I will add extra raisins and apples.