1 hr 5 mins
If you are a curry-lover, then this soup is a must try. If you like a creamy texture then add in some whipping cream towards the end of cooking. If you are serving more than 4 people, then I suggest to double the recipe. All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste, but start with the amounts listed. For even more heat, add in a seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper with the onions and garlic. This soup can be made a day ahead and just reheated, in fact it tastes even better the following day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or more to taste)
- 6 -8 boneless chicken breasts, cut into about 1-inch pieces (can use boneless skinless thighs)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (add in more if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 4 cups chicken broth (can add in a little more broth if desired)
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 large granny smith apple, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup dried currant
- salt and pepper
- plain yogurt
- 1Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add in onion, bell pepper, crushed red pepper, and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes, or until veggies are softened.
- 3Add in cubed chicken, curry powder and ginger; stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add in chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and chopped apples; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes (season with salt and pepper to taste).
- 5Add in orzo and currants; simmer for abother 5-6 minutes, or until orzo is cooked and firm-tender.
- 6Ladle into serving bowls, and dollup with yogurt.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry Stew Soup With Currants and Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.8
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 139.2 mg
- Sodium 1058.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 54.3 g