1 hr 5 mins
If you are a curry-lover, then this soup is a must try. If you like a creamy texture then add in some whipping cream towards the end of cooking. If you are serving more than 4 people, then I suggest to double the recipe. All ingredients can be adjusted to suit taste, but start with the amounts listed. For even more heat, add in a seeded and finely chopped jalapeno pepper with the onions and garlic. This soup can be made a day ahead and just reheated, in fact it tastes even better the following day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 -4 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh garlic (or more to taste)
- 6 -8 boneless chicken breasts, cut into about 1-inch pieces (can use boneless skinless thighs)
- 1 tablespoon curry powder (add in more if desired)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 4 cups chicken broth (can add in a little more broth if desired)
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 -2 large granny smith apple, peeled and coarsley chopped
- 1/3 cup orzo pasta
- 1/4 cup dried currant
- salt and pepper
- plain yogurt
- 1Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- 2Add in onion, bell pepper, crushed red pepper, and garlic; saute for about 5 minutes, or until veggies are softened.
- 3Add in cubed chicken, curry powder and ginger; stir for 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add in chicken broth, tomatoes with juice and chopped apples; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered for 45 minutes (season with salt and pepper to taste).
- 5Add in orzo and currants; simmer for abother 5-6 minutes, or until orzo is cooked and firm-tender.
- 6Ladle into serving bowls, and dollup with yogurt.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry Stew Soup With Currants and Orzo
Serving Size: 1 (485 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 627.8
- Calories from Fat 261
- Total Fat 29.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 139.2 mg
- Sodium 1058.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 18.0 g
- Protein 54.3 g