Prep 20 mins
Cook 50 mins
Cooking this Chicken Curry this way is less expensive because groceries are bought in bulk, meals are planned, and nothing is wasted. And it's "from scratch" even if you did pull it out of the freezer! Cook time includes the warm up from the freezer
- 8 cups cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 6 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Cook onion and green pepper in oil until tender.
- Add chicken.
- Sauté briefly.
- In separate bowl mix flour, curry powder and salt.
- Slowly stir in water and lemon juice to make paste.
- Add tomato sauce and garlic and pour mixture over chicken mixture.
- To freeze, freeze in ziploc plastic bag.
- Freeze rice in separate ziploc bag.
- To serve, thaw.
- Place rice in casserole dish.
- Place chicken mixture over top of rice.
- Heat through on 350°, about 30 min.
I made this as a OAMC recipe and put it in the freezer. We thought this was ok. Not spectacular, just so-so. There was way too much rice for the amount of meat and sauce, and I thought the meat was kind of dry. Probably not one I'll make again, but I'm still trying to figure out which OAMC meals work best for us. Thanks for posting, Tish!
I found this easy to make, but I did make a few changes to suit circumstances. Used raw wing nibbles, cooked in an elec frypan with onion til half done. Mixed the sauce ingredients minus garlic (not fussed on garlic) and poured over chicken, lidded and left to cook for another half an hour. Didn't bother with the brown rice cos we had a potato bake dish to use up. This smelled good, looked appetising and was enjoyed by all. Very kid-friendly as not overly curry flavoured. I mixed the sauce (used dehydrated lemon) and tasted it, before pouring it over, and it seemed just right for us. For an easy afternoon curry with basic ingredients, I am impressed. Thanks Tish. We will definitely positively make this again.
Pretty good but it took a long time to cook. Good for a Sat or Sun dinner, when I have more time. I didn't do the OAMC. That would definately cut down the time next time around. I followed the directions EXACTLY except used ony 1 T Curry powder (kids cant handle spicy stuff), and it was delicious.