Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Best home-made curry recipe I've found so far. Yummy! Great recipe to make the day before.
Make and share this Chicken Curry - North Indian Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, crushed
- 4 teaspoons green chilies, chopped
- 12 large chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 400 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Stir cornflour into yoghurt. Put aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until beginning to colour. Reduce heat to medium and saute onions until dark golden brown.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and chillies. Saute for a further two minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken. Brown well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper over chicken. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, yogurt mixture, 1/2 cup fresh coriander and salt. Mix well, cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Turn off heat. Stir in garam masala and three tablespoons fresh coriander.
- Garnish with remaining coriander and serve with rice and/or Indian breads.
This was our first attempt at curry and we were nervous. My husband is from England so has a very specific idea of what makes "good Indian". We were both impressed. We used 3 parts jalepeno and 1 part serano and it was hot enough. I'd say medium hot. We also made our own garam masala which is really easy to do. We used:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
TDT this is a great recipe. My family will be enjoying this recipe again in the near future. This is a keeper! Thank you. [Made for recipe swap #19 Aug 08, TDT was my "Joey"].
I made this recipe a couple of days ago, it was outstanding, I followed the recipe exactly, it was easy. The flavours of the spices were perfect, I served it with basmati rice, I will be making this again and again. Thank you.