Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Best home-made curry recipe I've found so far. Yummy! Great recipe to make the day before.
Make and share this Chicken Curry - North Indian Style recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 tablespoon fresh garlic, crushed
- 4 teaspoons green chilies, chopped
- 12 large chicken thighs, skinned
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 400 g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄4 cup fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Stir cornflour into yoghurt. Put aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until beginning to colour. Reduce heat to medium and saute onions until dark golden brown.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and chillies. Saute for a further two minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high and add chicken. Brown well.
- Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle ground coriander, cumin, turmeric and cayenne pepper over chicken. Mix well and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, yogurt mixture, 1/2 cup fresh coriander and salt. Mix well, cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer until chicken is cooked.
- Turn off heat. Stir in garam masala and three tablespoons fresh coriander.
- Garnish with remaining coriander and serve with rice and/or Indian breads.
This was our first attempt at curry and we were nervous. My husband is from England so has a very specific idea of what makes "good Indian". We were both impressed. We used 3 parts jalepeno and 1 part serano and it was hot enough. I'd say medium hot. We also made our own garam masala which is really easy to do. We used:
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
1 1/2 teaspoons ground pepper
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
I have now made this a dozen times. It is by far my favorite curry. I've learned it is best to stick to this recipe as closely as possible. For example don't substitute for chicken breast as it absorbed more moisture and leaves the curry to dry. Also, you do not have to leave the chicken in whole pieces. It is ok to cut it up. I recommend 2 inch square pieces.
TDT this is a great recipe. My family will be enjoying this recipe again in the near future. This is a keeper! Thank you. [Made for recipe swap #19 Aug 08, TDT was my "Joey"].