Recipe by Kathy Bloor
This is a very mild chicken curry, very suitable for children. My daughter loved it from the age of 9 months and 18 years later it is still a family favourite. You need to start it the day before but don't let that put you off. It couldn't be more simple to make. We serve the curry and rice as a complete meal, having a big plateful each (about 1-1/2 cup rice each and one cup of the curry).
Top Review by cindymcleod62
This is the perfect Chicken Curry for us as we don't like things TOO spicy. It went over big with my two kids too, so it is now in my favorites for when we want to have it again!
- 1 chicken
- 1 ounce unsalted butter
- 2 large onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock (made previous day)
Directions See How It's Made
- The day before, place whole chicken in a large saucepan.
- Cover chicken with water; bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for about one hour or until chicken is starting to fall off the bones.
- Remove chicken and put aside to cool.
- Pour stock into a large bowl; place in the refrigerator.
- The next day the fat will have set. Remove the fat and throw it away.
- Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones and cut into bite size pieces.
- Put in refrigerator until needed.
- (Ingredients do not need to be precise.) Place butter and onions in saucepan over a medium to high heat and fry until soft.
- Add one teaspoon of salt.
- Add extra butter to saucepan if needed as you are about to add flour, curry powder, ginger, and a good few shakes of pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon).
- You need the melted butter to combine it all to a thick paste.
- Stir out any lumps.
- Add chicken stock one cupful at a time; stir well to smooth paste.
- Bring to boil after each cupful is added.
- Continue with this process until sauce is the thickness you like. (I like it fairly thick).
- Add chopped chicken.
- Reheat until chicken is hot.
- Serve with rice. (Tastes better if cooked the day before).
- Leftover curry can be frozen. Don't freeze the rice.