Kathy Bloor's Note:
This is a very mild chicken curry, very suitable for children. My daughter loved it from the age of 9 months and 18 years later it is still a family favourite. You need to start it the day before but don't let that put you off. It couldn't be more simple to make. We serve the curry and rice as a complete meal, having a big plateful each (about 1-1/2 cup rice each and one cup of the curry).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1The day before, place whole chicken in a large saucepan.
- 2Cover chicken with water; bring to a boil; lower heat and simmer for about one hour or until chicken is starting to fall off the bones.
- 3Remove chicken and put aside to cool.
- 4Pour stock into a large bowl; place in the refrigerator.
- 5The next day the fat will have set. Remove the fat and throw it away.
- 6Meanwhile, remove chicken from bones and cut into bite size pieces.
- 7Put in refrigerator until needed.
- 8(Ingredients do not need to be precise.) Place butter and onions in saucepan over a medium to high heat and fry until soft.
- 9Add one teaspoon of salt.
- 10Add extra butter to saucepan if needed as you are about to add flour, curry powder, ginger, and a good few shakes of pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon).
- 11You need the melted butter to combine it all to a thick paste.
- 12Stir out any lumps.
- 13Add chicken stock one cupful at a time; stir well to smooth paste.
- 14Bring to boil after each cupful is added.
- 15Continue with this process until sauce is the thickness you like. (I like it fairly thick).
- 16Add chopped chicken.
- 17Reheat until chicken is hot.
- 18Serve with rice. (Tastes better if cooked the day before).
- 19Leftover curry can be frozen. Don't freeze the rice.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry II
Serving Size: 1 (231 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 376.2
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 97.4 mg
- Sodium 544.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 26.0 g