Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
This has to be the best home-made chicken curry I have tasted / made. It's a recipe that a friend gave me after she made it for a dinner party. Since said party, almost all guests have either asked for the recipe or have asked her to make it for them. It's not your average curry - it's like a cross between a Korma and a Tikka Masala. Tip: I once used reduced-fat coconut milk to save on calories etc but it really didnt taste as good as it does with the full fat stuff! So dont cut corners! You can also vary the amount of chilli you put in to suit your personal taste! The following recipes serves 4 people.
- 4 large chicken fillets
- 1 large onion
- 1⁄2 red chili pepper
- 1⁄2 green chili pepper
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Finely chop the garlic, chilli's and ginger and fry for approx 1 minute in 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil in a large wok / casserole dish.
- Finely chop the onion and add to the above, frying for 10 minutes until the onions are transparent. Be sure not to let them brown. Halfway through cooking, add the chilli powder, turmeric and curry powder.
- Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and simmer for approx 20 minutes Carefully season, if required.
- Slice/chop the chicken and fry in the remaining oil in a separate pan along with the ground coriander. When the meat is sealed, add it to the above sauce and let it cook for a further 30 minutes on a low heat.
- If the sauce needs to be thickened, simply add cream or mix a teaspoon of cornflour with a drop of milk and add to the sauce.
We made this dish for Easter dinner this year. Was very tasty... even the youngest ate it up:) Served steamed veggies as a side dish which added to the appeal of the plate.
Used boneless chicken thighs, otherwise made as stated. A good curry, easy to make. Thanks for posting.
Easy and delicious!! Perfect amount of heat.