Recipe by Brian Holley
A terrific curry for real curry fans. Loads of flavour and if you enjoy cooking this is the one for you. I have cooked this dish more time than I can count, it's always a winner.
- 4 lbs skinless chicken, and jointed
- 12 ounces ghee
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions, sliced
- 1 cup fresh ginger, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 pint water
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 cardamom pods, split open
- 10 cloves
- 4 bay leaves
- 5 cinnamon sticks, broken up
- 1⁄2 pint yogurt
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the ghee in a large pan and fry half of the onions till golden.
- Liquidise the rest of the onions with the ginger and the water.
- Add the liquid to the fried onions and cook for 10 mins on low heat.
- Add the salt and all of the spices and cook 10 minutes.
- Add the yogurt and stir well, then add the chicken.
- Cover the pan and cook till the meat falls from the bones.
- Serve with a vegetable curry and rice.