Recipe by ellie_
For Zaar World Tour II (Africa/Kenya). Recipe source: Bon Appetit (November 1983) Although the list of ingredients is long, most of these ingredients I usually have on hand.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
This chicken curry dish is really good, although I did make some adjustments to the recipe and omitted the cardamom pods and used jalapeno peppers in place of the anaheim chilies, all in all a great curry dish! thanks for sharing Ellie!...Kitten
- 1 cup yogurt
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon saffron thread, crushed and dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon chicken stock or 1⁄4 teaspoon broth
- 1 (3 1/2 lb) roasting chickens, cut into 6 pieces
- 3 anaheim chilies
- 10 cardamom pods, skinned, seeds removed and reserved
- 6 peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 (3/4 inch) cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons ghee or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons coconut, grated
- 1 cup chicken broth or 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- cilantro leaf, garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine first 4 ingredients (yogurt - dissolved saffron) and add chicken. Marinate for at least 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Char chilies over gas flame or under broiler until skins blister and blacken. Place in plastic bag, sealing tightly and let steam for 10 minutes. Peel off skins, discarding seeds. Transfer chilies to processor or blender and puree.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes, then add cardamom pods and seeds and the next 4 spices (peppercorns - cinnamon), cooking for 6-8 minutes or until aromatic. Transfer to a small bowl and let cool and then grind to a powder in a spice grinder (or mortar and pestle or blender). Return spice mixture to a small bowl or cup and stir in chili puree, turmeric and salt.
- Melt ghee (or heat oil) in skillet over medium low heat and then add onions and stir for 5-7 minutes or until onions are golden. Stir in spice mixture, cooking for 2 more minutes.
- Add chicken pieces with the marinade and coconut.
- Increase heat to medium high and bring to a boil.
- Stir in stock or broth and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning pieces once.
- Transfer chicken to a platter.
- Add lemon juice to skillet and pour over chicken.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice.