Recipe by - Carla -
Accompany curry with pappadams and chutney. This particular combination of spices, which includes cardamom and cinnamon, gives a mild heat and rich fragrance to the dish. You can adjust the spices to suit your taste.
Top Review by Carrie Ann
Wonderful! Time consuming, but the multitude of subtle and dominate flavours in this dish and the fragrant aroma make it well worth the effort. I added 3 tablespoons of Major Grey chutney to the dish to give it even more complexity. This is definetly worth 5 stars.
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1⁄8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 pinch clove, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter (or ghee)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks, about 3-inches long
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 cups whole canned tomatoes, peeled and seeded with juices
- 1 1⁄2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 1⁄2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 3⁄4 cup golden raisin, roughly chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- to taste pappadams, for serving
- to taste basmati rice, Cooked, for serving
- to taste cashews, Chopped, for garnish
- to taste mango chutney, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer to spice grinder, add crushed red-pepper flakes, and grind to a powder.
- Place in a small bowl, and add turmeric, ginger, cloves, salt, and black pepper.
- Add chicken, and toss to coat. Heat peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cooking until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken.
- Set aside. Reduce heat, and add ginger, garlic, and onions.
- Cook until softened and deep-brown in color, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, and cardamom pods; cook for 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and cooked chicken.
- Raise heat to medium high, and cook until liquid is reduced, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, toast pappadams.
- Reduce heat to low, and stir in yogurt and raisins.
- Cook until warmed throughout; add cilantro.
- Serve with basmati rice, and garnish with cashews.