1/3 Photos of Chicken Curry
1 hr 47 mins
1 hr 5 mins
- Carla -'s Note:
Accompany curry with pappadams and chutney. This particular combination of spices, which includes cardamom and cinnamon, gives a mild heat and rich fragrance to the dish. You can adjust the spices to suit your taste.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 1 pinch clove, ground
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter (or ghee)
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks, about 3-inches long
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cardamom pods
- 2 cups whole canned tomatoes, peeled and seeded with juices
- 1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup golden raisin, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- to taste pappadams, for serving
- to taste basmati rice, Cooked, for serving
- to taste cashews, Chopped, for garnish
- to taste mango chutney, for garnish
- 1In a dry skillet over medium heat, toast coriander and cumin seeds until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
- 2Transfer to spice grinder, add crushed red-pepper flakes, and grind to a powder.
- 3Place in a small bowl, and add turmeric, ginger, cloves, salt, and black pepper.
- 4Add chicken, and toss to coat. Heat peanut oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chicken, cooking until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 5Remove chicken.
- 6Set aside. Reduce heat, and add ginger, garlic, and onions.
- 7Cook until softened and deep-brown in color, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 8Add cinnamon sticks, bay leaf, and cardamom pods; cook for 10 minutes.
- 9Add tomatoes, chicken stock, and cooked chicken.
- 10Raise heat to medium high, and cook until liquid is reduced, about 15 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, toast pappadams.
- 12Reduce heat to low, and stir in yogurt and raisins.
- 13Cook until warmed throughout; add cilantro.
- 14Serve with basmati rice, and garnish with cashews.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Curry
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 360.0
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 93.2 mg
- Sodium 1251.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 23.4 g
- Protein 31.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: