Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, white chicken pieces (breasts or tenders)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup green apple, finely cut or grated
- 1⁄4 cup onion, finely diced or grated
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (1 egg)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- dried tarragon (to taste)
- black pepper
- Boil chicken 15 minutes in broth until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; strain and reserve broth. Set aside.
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl and place chicken in processor bowl; pulse 15-30 seconds or until chicken is finely chopped, but not smooth. Set aside.
- Briefly saute apple and onion in a large skillet coated with cooking spray to soften. Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken, egg substitute, salt, and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch, milk, and 1/4 cup reserved broth in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir sauce into chicken mixture; shape into 6 croquettes.
- Combine panko and paprika; roll croquettes in crumbs, and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375* for 20-25 minutes or until heated. Broil last 2 minutes of heating for crunchiness of panko.
- Serve with Bearnaise Sauce.
- Yield: 6 servings.
- Non-traditional (Modified) Bearnaise Sauce: Over low heat, mix flour and butter well, until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth and milk; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in tarragon, salt, and pepper.