Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Baked in the oven so it doesn't have all the fat, Chicken croquettes has a crispy outside similar to deep-fried croquettes. And the mushroom sauce served with them is almost like gravy.
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (2-3 eggs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup reserved chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; strain broth, reserving 1 1/2 cups. Set aside.
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl.
- Place chicken in processor bowl; process 45 seconds or until chicken is finely chopped, but not smooth. Set aside.
- Saute 1/2 cup diced celery and 1/2 cup diced onion in a large skillet coated with cooking spray.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken, egg substitute, salt, and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch, milk, and 1/2 cup reserved broth in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir sauce into chicken mixture; shape into 6 croquettes.
- Combine cracker crumbs and paprika; roll croquettes in crumbs, and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with Mushroom Sauce.
- Yield: 6 servings Mushroom Sauce: Saute mushrooms in margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups.
Outstanding! This was delicious. We had company for supper and this went over GREAT! My friend asked for the recipe, she just kept on saying how wonderful the croquettes were :) I used Panko breading in place of cracker crumbs cause thats all I had on hand but we enjoyed the crunch the panko breading gave. I added basil and oregano to the breading along with the paprika and I used eggs in place of egg substitute. In the mushroom sauce I added whipping cream along with the rest of the ingredients. It was a big hit! :) Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe! It is one that I am sure we will have many times.
I made this to go with Spaghetti and Tomato sauce and it was superb! I used a mixture of cream crackers and wholewheat crackers - I just put them in a ziploc bag and bashed them. I didn't make the mushroom sauce but the chicken croquettes went fantastically well with the pasta.
Made this last week. I did substitue a deli roasted chicken and canned chicken broth. Followed remaining instructions Loved the flavor of the roasted chicken.