Recipe by Sharon123
Baked in the oven so it doesn't have all the fat, Chicken croquettes has a crispy outside similar to deep-fried croquettes. And the mushroom sauce served with them is almost like gravy.
Top Review by Marsha D.
Outstanding! This was delicious. We had company for supper and this went over GREAT! My friend asked for the recipe, she just kept on saying how wonderful the croquettes were :) I used Panko breading in place of cracker crumbs cause thats all I had on hand but we enjoyed the crunch the panko breading gave. I added basil and oregano to the breading along with the paprika and I used eggs in place of egg substitute. In the mushroom sauce I added whipping cream along with the rest of the ingredients. It was a big hit! :) Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful recipe! It is one that I am sure we will have many times.
- 6 (4 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute (2-3 eggs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄2 cup cracker crumb
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup reserved chicken broth
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and cook 15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken from broth; strain broth, reserving 1 1/2 cups. Set aside.
- Position knife blade in food processor bowl.
- Place chicken in processor bowl; process 45 seconds or until chicken is finely chopped, but not smooth. Set aside.
- Saute 1/2 cup diced celery and 1/2 cup diced onion in a large skillet coated with cooking spray.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken, egg substitute, salt, and pepper.
- Combine cornstarch, milk, and 1/2 cup reserved broth in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture begins to boil; boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir sauce into chicken mixture; shape into 6 croquettes.
- Combine cracker crumbs and paprika; roll croquettes in crumbs, and place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Serve with Mushroom Sauce.
- Yield: 6 servings Mushroom Sauce: Saute mushrooms in margarine in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour, stirring until smooth.
- Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Gradually stir in chicken broth; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Yield: 1 1/2 cups.