Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This makes a nice lighter style casserole. Great for weekend brunches or light lunches. Any of the cheeses are good, or even a combination. Prep time includes refrigeration time before cooking.
- 4 large plain croissants, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded jarlsberg cheese or 1 cup swiss cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese (4 oz)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 2 green onions, with tops,sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Arrange half of the croissant cubes in an ungreased square 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese, all of the chicken and onions.
- Arrange remaining croissants over the top.
- Beat milk, eggs, mustard and salt.
- pour over casserole.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours, but no more than 24 hours.
- Bake uncovered at 325ºF for 1 to 1 1/4 hours, or until tests clean.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Bake 2 minutes more, or until cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
The croissants really made this dish I think. It was much better than the usual bread cubes!! I used Edam cheese on top of the chicken and cheddar cheese at the end on top of the dish. Thought it worked well. Thanks Miss Annie
I used all mozzarella cheese (cant beat that stringiness!) Tasty and loved the croissant crunch, I obly had it in the oven for 1 hour and it was a little dry, will make it again but check sooner. Thanks for posting.
I'm sorry, Miss Annie......this was okay, but not great. It's an interesting combination of flavors. There were just too many eggs in this (it was almost custard like)which didn't go so well with the green onions and chicken.