1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Chicken soup with a kick, really tasty and easy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 medium onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium green bell pepper, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts or 2 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained (I use the petite diced that you get at superwalmart)
- 2 dried bay leaves or 1 fresh bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 cup uncooked regular long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1Melt butter in 5 to 6 quart dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- 2Cook onions, celery, bell pepper, garlic and chicken in butter 7 to 9 minutes, stirring frequently, until onion is softened and chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- 3Stir in flour.
- 4Cook 5 to 6 minutes, stirring constantly, until flour is light brown.
- 5Stir in remaining ingredients except rice and water.
- 6Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium low.
- 7Cover and cook 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is tender.
- 8Meanwhile, cook rice in water as directed on package; stir cooked rice into soup.
- 9Remove bay leaves.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Chicken Creole Soup
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.4
- Calories from Fat 70
- Total Fat 7.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 89.9 mg
- Sodium 1025.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 40.4 g