Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is a different recipe for me. I didn't think I would like something that was a fancy chicken meatloaf, but I was surprised. Pleasantly, might I add. This is also a good way to use up some cooked chicken in the fridge or a roasted chicken from the deli if you're in a hurry and a great homemade cream of mushroom sauce.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom (drain if canned)
- 1 cup thick white sauce
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 beaten eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon red pepper
MUSHROOM CREME SAUCE
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups warmed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 dash paprika
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (3 ounce) can Green Giant sliced mushrooms, broiled in butter, drained
- MEATLOAF: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Combine the meat, white sauce, and mushrooms. Stir in the butter and egg and beat well. Add the seasonings and pour into a loaf pan lined with the new non-stick foil. Place the loaf pan in a shallow pan filled with 1/2 inch of water. Bake for 1 1/2 hours.
- SAUCE: In a heavy pan, melt the butter; add in the flour, salt, pepper, and paprika while constantly whisking until smooth. Slowly stir in the milks and cook on med-low heat until thickened. Add in mushrooms and remove from heat. Place a lid on the pot and let sit while meat rests before slicing.
- TO SERVE: Drain any liquid off the meatloaf and place on a platter. Drizzle a small amount of the mushroom sauce on the top and serve remaining gravy on the side.