Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very tasty quick and easy dinner. Comfort food good enough for company. Great served over rice or noodles with a green salad.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 onion (large or 2 medium sliced)
- 1 cup mushroom (sliced)
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 roasted red pepper (skinned thinly sliced can also use a small jar store bought)
- 2 tablespoons paprika (sweet)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder or 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- Cut chicken breast into thin strips.
- Peel and slice onions.
- Wipe mushrooms clean and slice.
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add chicken and lightly brown.
- Add onion and mushroom.
- Season with paprika, chili powder and salt and saute for 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat add the broth stirring to deglaze the pan.
- Put pan back on heat bring to boil then reduce heat and simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Stir flour into the sour cream.
- Taste the goulash to make sure it has enough spice if not then add to your taste.
- Add roasted peppers to and sour cream to pan and stir to mix well.
- Bring back to boil for about a minute.
- Can be served over rice or broad egg noodles.
I served this over brown basmati rice. Would have like to use the hot paprika.. but I needed to make it toddler friendly.
This was great! Definitely not what I would call Goulash but VERY GOOD! My picky eater ate her entire serving and my oldest had a second helping! (That never happens when I cook, lol) Served over egg noodles cuz that's what I had, also I used jar of roasted red peppers from the store. Thanks for a great recipe!
Mmmm comfort food! Even my picky 5 year old liked it! I used plain fat-free yogurt instead of sour cream, used a jar of roasted red peppers, omitted the mushrooms as my kids won't eat them and I served it over whole wheat egg noodles. This will be in my regular rotation!