Recipe by Olha
Flour tortilla encasing a chicken and couscous filling, made all the more tempting by a jalapeno mayonnaise. Different coloured and flavoured tortillas are as ubiquitous as bagels, and a great standby to keep in your freezer. If you can’t find them, they’re a snap to make (see recipe).
- 3 jalapeno peppers
- 1⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 2⁄3 cup couscous
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1⁄2 avocado, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel
- 1 plum tomato, diced
Directions See How It's Made
- TORTILLAS: In a bowl, stir together flour, baking powder and salt; with pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening until crumbly. Stir in 1 1/4 cups water to make soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead just until dough comes together. Divide into 8 pieces; roll each into ball. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Roll out each ball into 10 inch circle.
- Heat heavy skillet over medium heat. Peel tortilla from work surface by lifting closest edge away from you. Cook, 1 at a time, for 1 to 2 minutes per side or until speckled. Wrap in foil to keep soft, adding to stack as cooked. (Tortillas can be refrigerated for up to 8 hours or frozen in freezer bag for up to 2 weeks; warm in 350°F oven for 5 minutes.).
- On baking sheet, broil jalapeno peppers, turning occasionally, for 7 to 10 minutes or until blackened; let cool slightly. Remove skins and seeds; chop finely. Stir 1 teaspoons of the chopped jalapeno into mayonnaise; set aside.
- FILLING: In bowl, mix couscous with the salt. Add 2/3 cup boiling water; stir once. Cover and set aside for 10 minutes. Whisk together remaining jalapeno, oil, lime juice, 1 tablespoons water, sugar and pepper; stir into couscous. Stir in avocado, corn and tomato.
- Meanwhile, stir together oil, chili powder and oregano; brush all over chicken. Broil on greased baking sheet for about 5 minutes per side or until no longer pink inside. Cut into thin strips.
- Spread mayonnaise mixture over each tortilla, leaving 1-inch border. Starting just below centre of tortilla, mound couscous filling in 6 x 2 inch rectangle; top with chicken. Fold bottom border over filling, then sides; roll up. Makes 4 servings.
- TIP: To tint tortillas green or pink, stir 1/4 cup pesto or tomato paste into water before adding to flour.
- Canadian Living Cooks Step by Step.