Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is an easy and low fat salad, it's great alternative to a rice or pasta salad, goes great with a BBQ. Prep time includes 1 hour chilling time. If desired the recipe may be doubled.
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken (good also) or 2 cups seafood (good also) or 2 cups ham (good also)
- 1⁄3 cup uncooked couscous
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon sugar, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder or 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh minced garlic, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red bell peppers
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped peeled cucumbers
- 1 cup chopped onion (red onion is best, but white may be used)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup currants
- 1 (11 ounce) can sweet whole kernel corn, drained (can use frozen, or left-over cut off kernels from grilled corn on the cob)
- Bring 1/2 cup water to boil (can use sodium-free chicken broth instead of water) in a micowave-safe bowl.
- Stir in the coucous; cover, and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Uncover; fluff with a fork, cover and chill in the refrigerator until cold.
- In a bowl, combine vinegar, and the next 7 ingredients (oil through the garlic),; stir well with a whisk.
- Remove the cold coucous from the fridge.
- Add in the remaining ingredients to the coucous; mix well Add in the dressing, and mix/toss again.
- Return to the fridge for 1 hour to combine the flavors before serving.